terça-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2009

Maravilhosa Graça!




Amazing Grace

Eternal
Composição: Indisponível


Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost
But now am found
Was blind but now I see

Amazing grace
Shall always be my song of praise
For it was grace that brought my liberty
I'll never know
Just why Christ came to love me so
He looked beyond my faults and saw my need

After a brief time in the Royal Navy, Newton began his career in slave trade. The turning point in Newton's spiritual life was a violent storm that occurred one night while at sea. Moments after he left the deck, the crewman who had taken his place was swept overboard. Although he manned the vessel for the remainder of the tempest, he later commented that, throughout the tumult, he realized his helplessness and concluded that only the grace of God could save him. Prodded by what he had read in Thomas a Kempis' Imitation of Christ, Newton took the first step toward accepting faith.

These incidents and his 1750 marriage to Mary Catlett changed Newton significantly. On his slave voyages, he encouraged the sailors under his charge to pray. He also began to ensure that every member of his crew treated their human cargo with gentleness and concern. Nevertheless, it would be another 40 years until Newton openly challenged the trafficking of slaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

Nenhum comentário: